Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture - Peggy Orenstein Whose daughter did Cinderella eat?

Peggy Orenstein's to start with. But Cinderella has consumed countless little girls, and she has not yet had her fill.

And that's not only speaking of the Grimm Brothers version of "Cinderella".

Though readers know there are far grimmer versions (certainly gorier, with stepsisters lopping off body parts to try to fit oversized feet into pretty slippers).

But then there is the Disney version, which spawned an era of princess-fication heretofore unseen.

And not just a particular princess, not only Cinderella, but the idea of princess-ness.

The Disney Princesses.

The DPs came into being in 2000, thanks to Andy Mooney, who was brought into Disney to rescue its ailing consumer products division.

He had attended a "Disney on Ice" show, shortly after his hiring, and found himself surrounded by little girls in homemade princess costumes.

"How had such a massive branding opportunity been overlooked?"

Well, lots of reasons, as it turned out. Not the least of which was that Roy Disney "considered it heresy to lump together those [characters] from different stories".

Did you know that?

"That is why, these days, when the ladies appear on the same item, they never make eye contact. Each stares off in a slightly different direction, as if unaware of the others' presence. Now that I have told you, you'll always notice it. And let me tell you, it's freaky."

This is just the kind of thing that Peggy Orenstein does.

She mentions something, which isn't that creepy in and of itself, but in the wider context it's very creepy, and, now that you're aware of it, you are struck speechless.

And not only by the creepy-ness, but by the fact that you hadn't noticed it before. That's the creepy-est part, really.

(I've got a lot more to say about this one, and I even snapped some pictures too: such an inspiring read. If you're keen, read more here.)