The Book Of Lies

The Book Of Lies - Mary Horlock Did you know that there were Nazi concentration camps on British soil during the Second World War? I didn’t, but having read The Book of Lies, I now know.

There were four of them actually. And it’s highly appropriate that Cat be the one who told me about this. She is the narrator of Mary Horlock’s debut novel, and she is all about unearthing horrors.

She comes by it honestly. Her father was founder and editor of The Patois Press, whose mandate was to study and reveal the history of the Channel Islands (especially Guernsey), including the nasty bits.

Emile Rozier was the local expert on such things; he knew about the underground gas chambers and the many acts of English resistance, and about tonnes of stuff in between.

Cat is interested in history; she does want to understand the political events that have conspired to make such a colourful past for the island she calls home (which lies in the English Channel off the French coast of Normandy).

But her interest in reading her father’s works is also more personal, as she attempts to reconcile herself to his recent death.

[There's more here: Mary Horlock's work is definitely a worthwhile read.]